<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, September 27, 2009

A precarious situation arose today. The kids were in the tub and dad desperately had to go to the bathroom. My wife said "Just go. They always go in there when you're in there any way." So, there I sat on the pot with my son and daughter lying naked on there bellies in the tub. They couldn't have been any happier. As they splashed around screaming and playing, it occurred to me it will never get any better than this. Not that I am advocating this as some sort of family outing, but as time goes on, they will only get more self-conscious of themselves and each other. The idea of being naked in front of anyone, much less a sibling, will fill them with feelings of dread. And what kid wants to go anywhere near the bathroom when his dad is taking his evening constitutional? Yet there we were, without a care in the world. Each doing what nature demanded of us. Oblivious to the taboos that society placed on the acts we were perpetrating.

There will come a day, years from now, when I will remember this odd set of circumstances. Long after my son and daughter have becomes overly-conscious of there bodies. And scornful of the smells that linger in the bathroom after dad has read his latest aviation magazine. It will come long after they have the capability to remember this day. I will remind them of these events and they will recoil in horror and accuse me of mental infirmity and say I am making it all up. Taking quiet solace in the fact that I didn't mention it in the presence of their friends.

I find myself contemplating my mortality. I wonder if I will see the day when I go to visit my son and call out "Where is Dex?" A loving mother will reply,"He's in the bathroom with the kids...I think he's going Potty!"

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?